When you think about outdoor furniture, you probably think of relaxing after a long day. No added stress, just a little break from the daily pressures of life. The last thing you want to deal with is high-maintenance furniture that stresses you out rather than bringing you relaxation and joy.
But if you’re reading this, you’ve probably already purchased poly lumber furniture and know that it is so much easier than taking care of wood/metal outdoor furniture. Great choice!
We’re going to be sharing some of ECCB Outdoor’s recommendations to keep your patio furniture looking as good as the day you received it!
Poly Lumber Care Recommendations:
- Soap and water is all you need! Our customers often ask what makes poly lumber weather-resistant and a lot of it comes from its ability to not absorb moisture. This furniture will not mildew, mold, or become water-logged from being out in the elements so it is perfectly safe to use a soap and water mixture to get off any organic stains that may happen. You can also use a soft bristle brush for a little extra scrub.
- Grab the hose, not the power washer. We do not recommend power-washing your poly lumber furniture, but if you do, you must keep the power-washer at least 12 inches from the surface of the furniture and do not use a stronger setting than 1500 PSI. Instead, we recommend using a garden hose if you need to clean off a larger area quickly.
- Magic Erasers are perfect for buffing out tricky stains. Using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is our holy grail tactic for getting out leaf stains or hard to get to dirt. These are a must especially if you purchased any of our poly products in white. Magic Erasers will help you get your furniture looking better in no time!
- Be proactive in keeping your furniture in good condition. If you live in an area that brings seasonal weather where you aren’t going to be using your furniture frequently, we do recommend covering your furniture or storing it. The poly lumber will not become brittle or crack from cold temperatures, but like a car, covering/storing furniture will help keep it in the best condition. For more on if you should leave your poly lumber furniture outside all year long, check out our previous blog.
- Check on your hardware! ECCB Outdoor poly lumber furniture wouldn’t be complete without the #316 stainless steel hardware. This hardware is marine-grade and will not rust or corrode. We do recommend periodically tightening (not over-tightening) your screws to make sure nothing has shifted.
- Don’t forget the cushions! All of our deep seating collections come with your choice of Sunbrella cushions. If you’re experiencing bad weather like constant storms or high winds, we do recommend storing your cushions so they don’t get damaged. Even though the Sunbrella fabric is good for all climates, if it continually sits out in the rain, the foam/fabric can mold. For any other stains or spills that may happen on your Sunbrella cushions, definitely check out their website where they have a very detailed cleaning guide by item.
Now that you’ve learned how to best take care of your furniture, it’s time to get back to that cocktail and sit and relax in your newly cleaned poly lumber furniture. Cheers!